Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Best video game moments ever


I just added a couple of comments to an article by my pal Austin Grossman.  The comments are awaiting moderator approval.  I am so wonderful, I post them here so you don't have to wait.
=============================
My #1 video game moment.
I can’t describe it here in detail, because it’s a major spoiler. But I can say that it is the moment in Nethack where you find out what you are.
If you’re like me, you probably won’t ever beat Nethack and may only reach this particular moment once, if you’re lucky. So you can read about it it at http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Riders. Search for the string “you are”.
I get chills every time I think about the moment when I apprehended this.
=============================
My #2 video game moment(s):
All the screens in Atari 2600 Superman where there’s nothing there, nobody there, except the sound of the wind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that nethack moment is amazing - how did I not know that??

Gregory Michael Travis said...

I know, that's what I wondered, too, at the time. I was in the endgame, about to lose, and I was like, "Carl, why [redacted]?" and he looked at me seriously and with the sadness of the world in his eyes, and said "Because [redacted]." And I couldn't think of anything at all to say.